View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Playing AK from Early Position

For all the times I've cursed for raising preflop with AK and have to fold or lose with it post-flop, I still show a substantial profit with it because when I do raise it and win the hand the pots are usually pretty big - whereas if I didn't they tend to be small.

When AK turns into overcards, I think SSH blatantly says most people will never be comfortable playing overcards.

For discussion purposes, when you raise AK preflop from EP and you miss the flop - I almost always autobet/call. In these cases the turn is the crux of the hands. If I bet and am called on the flop and do not improve on the turn, I re-examine the flop for coordination as recommend by SSH (and per size of the pot). If it was really ragged I re-consider check/call check/fold (ragged flops often indicate a pair). If it was really coordinated I re-consider check/call check/fold (very coord flops indicate possible strong draws or slowplays). If the flop was moderately coordinated I am more likely to bet/call. I think showing fold to bet on each street is a crucial PAHUD stat to have here when deciding how to continue.

Again, I too am still uncomfortable raising AK and I often lose with it. But when I win, I win big.