View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Obsessive-compulsive walking patterns / cracks / lines / etc.

[ QUOTE ]
From when I was like 6 to 12 I used to have this OCD thing I'd do where everything I'd do had to be in factors of three.

If I'd swallow once, I'd have to do it two more times. If I'd tap my finger four times, I'd have to tap 2 or 5 more times to even it out. I literally did this on every time I did. Gum chewing, spitting, etc.

On the bright side, I'm a [censored] whiz when reciting factors of 3. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Often when I see a billboard, sign, phrase on TV, etc. I'll count the words and try to make the total number a multiple of 4. Sometimes I'll count hypenated words as 1 word, sometimes 2, sometimes I'll include extra words nearby, always trying to find a group that is a multiple of 4. I think I am OK with a multiple of 2, but prefer a multiple of 4. Will do this with letters in phrases occasionally too. I think I do it much less now than I did as a kid.

As far as sidewalk cracks go, I'm in the even out both feet crowd. I also try to make them hit the same place on each foot. If my left foot hits a crack near the toe, and my right foot hits one near the heal, I'll try to balance them out. I tend to do this when out running, and will also even out things like my left arm brushing my hip, right foot stepping in grass, etc. Sometimes it gets ridiculous and I shake my head and force myself to stop.

Neither of these things really bother me, but evening out my feet on the cracks can be annoying, because if I think the wrong part of my foot has hit, it gets worse (both feet then need to hit).