Thread: Leaking finding
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Leaking finding

I still thinking folding this pre-flop is way, way, way to tight for the average game. You are getting about 10-1 on your call. I'll try and go reason by reason.

[ QUOTE ]
PREFLOP:
I think your first problem is calling the raise out of the big blind. Your hand looks pretty with a pair, consecutive cards and double suited. But Omaha/8 is a game of scooping pots and having the nuts or close to it. So let’s look at your JT99 ds in that light.

1) You have no way to make a low. About 3 out of 4 times some one will make a low by the river so those times you will only be playing for half the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That means 1/4 of the time your high will take the pot alone. Also - this pot is multiway, so taking half against 3-4 players is still good.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Your pair of 9s can flop a set. A set of 9s can not be the nut high hand. So after you flop a set you will then often have to improve to quads or a full house to win high. Even if you improve to 9s full you will often lose to a bigger full house.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many times when 9s will be the top set. Yes, there are times it will not, but holding a T and J, means your looking only at KK, QQ, and QQ showing in order for this to happen. I'd be very leary of AAxxx boards, but a lot less leary of KKxxx and QQxxx boards.

[ QUOTE ]

3) Your and is double suited but they are only Jack high and Ten high flush draws. If you make a flush you will often lose to the nut or second nut flush. I am not a fan of drawing to less than the second nut flush unless it comes in runner-runner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree for the most part. The flush should come into play here to give you extra outs - or when the flush cards are higher than yours. If the board has the A and K, or A and Q of your suit, you are now a lot more likely to have a flush worth playing. But for the most part - use them as backup outs.

[ QUOTE ]

4) You can make straights. Five of them actually: Ace high down to a ten high straight. If your lower straights are the nuts there will be a low possible, so you will only be playing for half the pot. For some of the higher straights you may be facing someone with the nut straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you make the nut straight - you will probably be taking 1/2 the pot against multiple people fighting for their low and non-nut lows, or lower straights. Yes you want to scoop, but I'm fine halving big multiway pots too. There are times you will get outstraighted, but I think those are few, and you will know when you are up against it, cause you will get raised with no low on the board.

Anyways - I think this is some good discussion, I would love to her your counter to my points, as well as what others have to say on the matter.