View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Preflop: Hijack PP vs. limper

I'm not sure people are paying enough attention to the specific lineup.

If we limp, there is a very good chance that CO and SB will limp also (unless button raises). Button may decide to limp along just because everyone else is there. There is a chance that button or bb will raise, but if bb raises it doesn't seem to matter much since everyone will call.

On the other hand, raising against these people doesn't look too promising. For the button and BB appear capable of 3-betting. More importantly, a raise could prevent others from entering the pot.

So, with this lineup, I like limping along. But as a general matter, I fold. And the reason is that at most tables I see, I don't think there's as much chance that I'll get other people to overlimp, and there's probably even more risk of a raise.

Also, in a less quantifiable sense, I don't particularly like limping because I think it might damage my image a bit. But this could be entirely wrongheaded.

Note, even if I thought I could get this headsup, I don't know if I'd raise. I think that there is about a 30% that earlier limper has a higher pair than me. If not, he has connecting cards or Ax and is probably not the type to fold on the flop.