View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Overlimping (thanks bottomset)

After a sweat session with bottomset last week, we talked about my play. He pointed out that I overlimped a few times too many. I've never heard that term, but found it very valuable.

I had a good seat to the left of 3 semi loose passive players and to my left were 3 tighty's. Like vpip<20 guys. Overall the table wasn't that great. The hand I remember was 89s in MP, it went a little something like this:

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5.00 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, Hero folds.

The thing he pointed out was that with the tight players behind me, I probably wouldn't get enough callers to make the hand playable. I needed a few more callers in front. It hadn't clicked at the time and I asked if he raised with that, and he said usually no.

What I've figured out about this thus far:
<ul type="square">[*]I get stuck in a small pot with a marginal drawing hand.[/list] <ul type="square">[*]I have zero fold equity with calling stations in front.[/list] <ul type="square">[*]Even if I hit one of my cards, I could be reverse dominated.[/list]
Now this is something I haven't seen discussed, but could also pertain to hands like T9s, KJo, Axs and others.

Discussion?