View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: FAQ for poker config on new Dell systems?

I am bored as hell at work so I figured I would take a crack at this.

System Requirements for PP and Skins (from the party poker site):
[ QUOTE ]

Windows 95/98/NT4/XP/ME or 2000
Pentium system with at least 32MB of RAM (64 MB required if you want to see the animations also)
Download size: Approx 3.1MB
Sound card if you're into hearing our audio
Screen resolution of at least 800 X 600 pixels with minimum of 256 colors

[/ QUOTE ]

Processor: I have ran 4 tables on a 500mhz P3 with 256 ram running XP. The computer did lag once in a while but I was able to play with no real problems (maybe slight delays from the moment you click to the moment the action happens)

If you have poker tracker running (which you will need if you are multitabling), you are going to take up some more processor power and ram. Anything extra (MP3's? Movies? Sleazy internet webcam chat?) you're gonna need more power.

That being said. 512mb of ram and any processor that is gonna be in a new pc from DELL (or similar PC company) should have enough power to multitable (with 4-8 tables). Your main concern as you add more tables is NOT going to be the processor(ie Pentium 4 or celeron)), it's gonna be the RAM. More tables = more ram. This is just a guesstimate, but you are probably going to want around 512mb RAM for 4-8 tables, (and you might even get away with 12 tables) But anything more than that I would really recommend getting closer to 1gb of ram

Also, some of the sites require more computing power than others. The party poker (and skins) software use very little computing power when compared to some of the other sites (ie Full tilt) that have the fancy shmancy graphics.

As for the video card, there are many cards on the market for dual display. If you just want it to play poker, there is really no need to get a dual DVI card. Most monitors will need an adaptor for the DVI and wont take advantage of it. Dual VGA is good enough. I think you will be hard pressed to get a PC that already has dual VGA outputs but installing them is pretty simple (open the PC, put the card in, restart the PC)

As for the monitors, Party Poker windows are 800x600 pixels. If you want to be able to see 4 windows at a time on each monitor, you are going to want a resolution of 1600x1200 so they dont overlap. For this you are gonna want a monitor that is at least 17" so that you dont go blind. If you have a small space to work with, you might want to get a Flat Panel monitor, as these take much less space.

Hope this helps