View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Staking someone in SnG\'s. Questions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4. I figure that him starting out at the $20+2's with $500 should be good right?

[/ QUOTE ]

no [censored] way.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think 500 for 20+2s would be fine. we are taking about staking not about having a bankroll to live off of. there is certainly a nontrivial ROR associated with this stake but there is also a greater ROI potential. if OP can handle the 500$ loss (which i am sure he can, or he shouldn't be considering it in the first place) then he should be fine.

for example, players often think its smart to stake a player for a one time event. usually this is for bigger events, but its basically the same as staking a player 22$ to play 1 22$ sng. the ROR here is huge (>50% in fact). also the HUGE problem with 'one-time' stakes is the percentage problem, which could make staking a +EV player -EV. its the same reason why a +EV player who only played the WSOP once a year couldn't easily be -EV because of taxes. basically when the player losses you take on all the liability, but when he wins you only get a %of the win. effectively the staker is 'taxed' for the win but doesn't get a rebate when he loses.

to illustrate my point, think of staking a guy for 500sngs vs staking him for 500sngs one and a time. doing it as a block is much much better for the staker, doing it one at a time is probably -EV even when you are backing the best sng players in the world.

i would stake for a specified number of sng's. say, stake him for 500 sng's which he must complete. after 500 you can reevaluate and decide whether you both want to continue the stake or divide up the money and go your seperate ways or do another 500.

if after 500 sng's he has made 3000$ or something then it doesn't make much sense for him to continue getting staked since once that money is split he will have enough to bankroll himself.

the thing is. 500$ isn't much money, its kind of weird that someone would need such a small amount to get staked. there are so many bonuses out there where a 100$ deposit gets a ~100$ bonus. do a couple of those and you have 500$. or just work a little overtime.

if your friend is in fact a smart kid and a +EV player, then i strongly suspect there are better way to go from ~0$ to 500$