Thread: $50 PLO8 hand
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Re: $50 PLO8 hand

Interesting hand. Personally, I'd raise the max preflop, and then given this flop, bet/raise the max.

However, if you just call preflop as you did, then I like the way you play the flop (just call). It is possible you are drawing dead for high, so you don't want to initiate a raising war on that street in a pot that's unraised PF. Analogous to the adage "don't go broke in an unraised pot" from NLHE. However, once that turn completes your low, raise the max when the action gets to you. Here you're hoping to pressure all the flush & boat draws out of the hand, as well as any other 6-T straight out there that currently ties you. Your hand is a powerhouse b/c it uses all 4 cards; opponents will have a hard time giving you credit for such a strong 2-way hand and will frequently draw & pay you even if you bet the max.

On the tangent about whether to raise this hand preflop, I'd raise it close to 100% of the time, almost regardless of position (depends on tendencies of other spots in the game). A2 with suits and the 6 is a big hand, building a pot early is a good idea, not to mention that if you aren't raising this type of hand PF then it will make achieving a high enough PFR % to disguise your very big hands difficult.