View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Why am I getting creamed at these games?

[ QUOTE ]
Another hand I had AKo in the SB, I raise and the the BB immediately calls (they checked the check/call button). 1 other person who limped in calls also. Flop comes K-J-4, 2 clubs. I have top pair and no redraws. I check with the intention of check-raising to protect my hand, but it gets checked around. Turn is the 3s, I bet this time, and of course the BB calls. The other guy folds. River comes 5c, I check, they bet, I call. Of course they have 5-4 for two pair. How bad do they play? I'm always the one paying off their crappy hands, it should be the other way around.

[/ QUOTE ]

you aren't always paying off their crappy hands. Your hand is obviously the crappy one. It didn't win. Don't expect rewards cause you've been a tight, aggressive player like Miller suggested. You deserve nothing.

You opponent made a mistake on the turn. He called a bet getting 3:1 pot odds (i figure only 3 ppl saw the flop?) By calling, he is going to win 1 time in 9. He's got 5 outs. in odds form that's 41:5 against his hitting his 5 outs. That works out to around 8:1, but he's only getting 3:1 pot odds. Here (on the turn) you should thank him for his stupid call.* You win in the long run when players make calls they shouldn't make, or fold with hands that they shouldn't fold!

Have you read the theory of poker!? It's a very deep book which goes into the heart of the game of poker in ALL variations. It talks about this. SSH does also!!! I suggest you re-read it!!!

--------------------------------------------
*The math behind this is quite simple

He invests 1 BB to win 3BB
His E(x) or mathematical expectation for the call is:

E(X) = 3 (1/9) - 1 (8/9)
= -0.555...

Each time someone makes a call in a scenario like this, you opponent loses money, and you are gaining it. In this case, you win MORE than 1 small bet every time! This is not to mention the lead you had preflop, and the flop. You made money on those streets too.