View Single Post
Old 10-16-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Games are crazy right now

[ QUOTE ]
I play in a 25$ bye in table now... The highest VPIP I see is 31% and the next has 24% so I think it is preaty tight...

Edit: the one with 31% left so the highest has 24% now..

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not scratching around enough.

I play at PP and keep 10 tables open at once. Once the table that I'm at tightens up (I define this as either average VP$IP under 25% and/or the absence of any obvious fish), I move on to the next one.

In general, its not hard to find tables with a sustained +30%, although many of those will also have a maniac or two, which will also increase average PFR%. Playing 4-5 hours a day (especially late at night), you can often find a table with a sustained average over 40%, though tables that loose are unstable and will only last until the current maniac or calling station gets busted out.

The other thing to be aware of is composition of the opponents. You're much better off at a table with 1-2 really loose players and a bunch of rocks than you are at one where all the players are slightly more loose than you (e.g. VP$IP on everyone is in the low 30s). In the former case, you can mercilessly re-raise to isolate and then value bet some scrappier hands. In the latter, you pretty much have to just wait for good hands.

If you've been watching other tables in the meantime, your PT stats will be ready and waiting for you when you hop to another table, so you're really only paying for the 1 BB post and maybe 5 seconds to switch tables (I always stick around until the blinds come around, no matter how tight the table is); make better use of that fact.