View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Let’s take a few minutes on the couch.

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> Hope, fear, and comfort. There are probably a lot of reasons, but I think that sums it up.
</font>

This makes a lot of sense, but I find just one problem. Even atheists have hope, fear, and comfort issues. Wouldn't we ALL like to believe that there is a better place waiting for us where our existence will never end, that evil will not go unpunished, and that someone is looking after us?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that's true for most people, atheists and theists alike. I didn't mean that these were the only reason why people believe. Belief is very complicated -- a lot of factors are involved. I believe some of those factors are psychological. But, people who have a strong fear of death, will be more likely to believe in god and an after life than someone who doesn't fear death as much. Some people are better at dealing with uncertainty -- these people will be less inclined to grasp onto an answer for answer's sake.

[ QUOTE ]
This might sound mean, but we all want these things so at some point doesn't it really come down to a predisposition for gullibility over rationality?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... that may be part of it, too. For me, personally, I've always been an extremely inquisitive and skeptical person. That's just my nature. Some people care less about facts, and more about feeling good. Sometimes I envy those people.