View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Government\'s role in our society

Insurance is an example of how a privately owned police force would work, but would a police force running on insurance funds investigate crimes where the dead body is not found, where there are no complaintants, where the victims of a crime do not have the money to buy insurance, as so often happens. What about white collar crime, when you don't know who's getting screwed directly?

Well, you don't need complete agreement about the crimes and punishments, but you do need to know where the justice system is, who decides the punishment for particular crimes, how extradition will work, where the territorial boundaries are, and who gets brought in for what crimes.

It'd be one hell of a hassle.

A state monopoly police force, in general, will investigate crimes where the victims are unknown, white collar crime with no direct victims, and general extortion where the victims are too afraid to come up with. Making sure a private force does that will be harder due to very little direct incentive to make sure these crimes are found out.

Ok, you object to taxes on a moral level. I don't really care about that debate.

Roads are publicly owned. If they were privately owned, a company could earn a ton of money by simply creating toll booths, making sure you paid $30 a hour or so, just to use roads. Controlling transportation would be huge profit for any company that does that. But the cost of a building a road is much less than that. With publicly owned roads, we can artificially keep the cost down by using a NPO to organize and pay for the construction of roads.

If Government is more effective than a private organization, and by more effective, I mean, an extra $10-20k per person in personal wealth, would you agree that government deserves to exist, or would you still argue against government due to it's oppression and theft?

I agree government research can be pretty terrible in a lot of places. But those things do need funding, and if NPO funding isn't enough, then it is greatly to our benefit to have the government tax people to make sure that research goes through.