View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Government\'s role in our society

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BCPVP's argument is better when it comes to justice and the police force. Having justice and the police force on sale to those who buy it sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would corrupt arbitrators have any credibility? Of course not. Only in a state-dominated monopoly justice system can corruption flourish.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not saying that the private sector has no corruption, right?
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Plus, to have a true justice system, everyone needs to buy into it and have a say as to the punishments and the crimes, and this is pure government.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need government for this. Reasonable people can agree that unprovoked force and fraud are undesirable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can reasonable people agree on the exact length of the sentence for these crimes? Can you make sure that everyone buys into and has a say in the justice system? Perhaps we should have a public forum to debate and decide what the crimes are, and their punishments. A decision making process for these laws would be very useful, huh?
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If Murder should be outlawed, and I think we can safely say it should, someone needs to uphold it without getting paid money from an individual to investigate it, for it is in the public good.

[/ QUOTE ]

What difference does it make where the money comes from as long as the crime is investigated and prosecuted?

There are more ways to fund private enforcement than just a pay-per-case basis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Would you like to give an example?
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, there are many crimes, like extortion and slavery that take place without a complaintant. Without a public police force, these would never be investigated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Wow. A slave has no complaint? Come on. This doesn't require much imagination.

[/ QUOTE ]
Terror can be a great reason not to go to the police.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am saying that without government, we would not have interstate highways right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. We'd have something better, more efficient, not paid for with stolen funds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm... Something better and more efficient? Would you mind explaining that part, or are you just objecting to taxes on a moral level?
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Government can do it more easily because it has the wide range of funds and support necessary to build a road, and will not extort people to drive on these roads.

[/ QUOTE ]
Government does it more easily because it uses force. Does that ease excuse the violence?

How would private road owners "extort people to drive"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Supply and demand cost of using a road is far greater than the actual cost of building a road. Use your imagination, see what happens. I do not see how private roads in this day and age would work more effectively than public ones.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When a single combined effort is more efficient than many individual efforts, government should be used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it's coercive? It doesn't matter, because no scenario exists where centrally-planned effort will outperfrom market effort.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who cares if it's coercive? You have a choice between two crappy options, and one "forced" good one, that actually seems to work. I'll limit my options as to take the better one.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Space exploration is a very interesting case. While you would rather have many individual efforts, space exploration costs a lot of money, and there's no profit at the end of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's no profit, why is it worth doing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Einstein didn't earn a lot of money for the general theory of relativity. There's no short-term profit in string theory. I don't think we should give up on those yet.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Once the private sector becomes interested enough in space exploration, the government can start pulling out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should the government be in it before such point where private parties are interested?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you never know when +EV occurs. Because there are huge benefits towards long-term research that no one can predict.
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But right now, one of the very few organizations that is interested enough and has the funds to support space exploration and research is the government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, those funds are ill-gotten. If the benefit is enough to justify the theft of the funds, surely a private party could pursue it profitably without government intervention.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't give a damn, and considering how +EV government is over anarchy (sudan), I really don't think it's a smart idea to care that you are force to pay for government services.