View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: what makes a conservative/liberal and 4 issues

[ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that you dont list any economic policy as one of your factors for seperating conseratives and liberals is extremely misleading.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my first reply was inadequate. Economic policy divides the two major parties quite clearly. But in America, economics doesn't divide liberals and conservatives. I believe that economic opportunity is considered part of our heritage an so American conservatives value it more than say English conservatives.

The economic divide is the result of labor being in bed with most liberals. Social liberals have to agree to a minimum wage, tariffs, etc because otherwise labor would not fund their campaigns.

And similarly you can say that liberal republicans (free market hawks AKA fiscal conservatives) have to agree on banning gay marriage because the conservative coalition would not fund their campaigns.

It's impossible to achieve, but it would bring me great joy to see liberal republicans join forces with environmentalist and social libertarians to form a new party. Unfortunately, it could never happen; there wouldn't be enough money to fund a viable campaign.