View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Tipping in higher limit games

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I play for fun, so maybe my philosophy is different. I take this analogy: when tipping a waitress - you usually tip 15-20%. If the meal is more expensive you tip more. If she sucks, you may stiff her a little on the tip, say, 10%, and if she's good, you'll give her a little more. But the constant in all this is that the percentage is in relation to how much your bill came out to. It's not like she's carrying heavier plates or anything for more expensive dishes - it's all the same whether it's a burger or kobe beef.

I do tip more if I win a bigger pot. For a 1200 pot in a 1/2NL game, i'd probably tip 15, b/c that's a HUGE pot for 1/2 (600BB), maybe more depending on my mood, how much of the pot was my money, and how good the dealer is. If it's a $5 pot, I don't tip anything. Tipping $1 for a 600BB pot i think is being a bit on the cheap side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your analogy is bad. Expensive restaurants have different standards and expectations from less expensive ones, particularly when it comes to service. Further, the staff at The French Laundry is substantially different across every meaningful dimension from the neighborhood Olive Garden.

Finally, for your analogy to be accurate, you should be tipping dealers proportional to their competence at the end of their down, regardless of whether you win a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think his analagy is that bad. The server is just bringing you your food the same as a dealer is just pushing you the pot. Why should i give one server 40$ and another one 20$ just because of the price of food? Both are doing the same job. One may do the job better but do they deserve substantially more money for the same job?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good job missing the point.