View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Midlife Career Change

This is not a "I want to go Pro" post you often find in the poker discussion forums. This is a question on changing one's career from a guy who has very little idea about what he wants to do.

I'm in my mid 30's and work as a programmer. I've been doing this for close to a decade now and although it has been financially rewarding, I realize now it is not something I want to do for the rest of my life. I supplement my income with online poker so the motivation to keep at it is also pretty low. But nonetheless, I do want to persue something else. But I have no idea whatelse is out there for me.

Since I do have poker for supplementary income, I don't need to find a career that pays as much as being a programmer. But I do want something that will provide medical and 401K, and something that is more day to day rather than project oriented.

Since poker is my passion, I don't need this job to be my life enjoyment. I just need something to provide medical (401K is bonus) and something to get me out of the house when not playing poker.

Any ideas?