View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Turned Trips but the Other Guy Keeps Betting

[ QUOTE ]
im not saying fold im going on SSH style raising to improve winning chances. you can fold some better hands and buy outs so that if you improve it wont be to a 2nd best hand or give people redraws. based on your reads though, i can see why you just called. can u explain this move more for my benefit?

[/ QUOTE ]

With the size of the pot, a raise is almost never going to fold top pair (maybe a weak top pair from the BB). It's not going to buy me the 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] as an out, because a flush draw isn't folding no matter what I do. About the only time it could potentially buy me any outs is when someone is in the pot with a better six, which might happen about as often as I get laid (which is to say, not that often).

Besides which, with the nature of the flop and the size of the field, this almost certainly hit someone better than it did me. By raising, I open myself up to the possibility of being 3-bet (even by a worse hand; i.e., flush draw), which I would then be forced to call with the escalating pot odds/potential of it being a draw. And, finally, I can't think of a better hand to illustrate when you're willing to peel one card on the flop but will gladly toss your hand UI to a turn bet; while the flop bettor is easily aggressive enough to have bet a flush draw there, even if that's the case he almost certainly has 15 outs twice to beat me.