View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on dropping out of school...

By all means get your degree if you must.

In my personal experience, it's been useless (at least so far). I graduated two years ago (and probably only did because I did not learn to play poker till after I graduated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]). Had overall GPA 3.98. What it really amounts to now is several years of hard work for nothing (except that yeah, my parents are pretty happy I did not drop out).

I don't know if it's a good idea to have a degree just in case, as an insurance of some sort. In fact, I believe I could get it 10 years later with the same success, when/if I decided I needed it.

As for fun, I am having as much fun playing poker for a living. Perfectly happy with this lifestyle.

Actually, in my case I don't really regret getting a degree that much, but only because I was really into doing research at the time. Thought that was what I want to do all my life (was mistaken, it turned out). I do regret not learning to play poker sooner though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Guess everybody is different, but in my mind the only good reason to go to college is if you really want to, and will enjoy working with your degree eventually much more than you enjoy playing poker now.