View Single Post
Old 11-16-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Am I really \"protecting\" my 2nd pair/nut flush draw?

Hello. This is from a nine-handed $2/4 Party game. I have only been at the table for six hands, and thus have little in the way of reads (I know, I know). I will say that so far most flops had four or five people, and that the average pot size was around 8BB.

Um, and I saw a guy bluff-raise the turn with ace high. He's not in this hand. Hope that helps.

Anyway, here's the deal:

I am UTG+1 with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG, I, button, SB, and BB see the flop for one bet each.

Flop (5 SB): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Nice. SB, BB, UTG check to me. I bet. Button, SB, UTG call.

Turn (4.5 BB): T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] SB checks, UTG bets.

This is where I am debating what to do. My first instinct was to think that I'm behind a ten and I should just call. It didn't seem that I care a whole lot if I leave hands in that I'm beating, so I don't know if there's any value in raising to protect my hand here.

Plus, any card I spike that improves my hand (heart, nine, ace) won't cause any hand that's behind to beat me, and a lot of those hands would pay me off on the river (e.g., A6).

On the other hand, if someone has a T, I have (at most) 14 outs, and so I can't really raise for value. Or is it important for me to make a 6 or 2 fold? I suspect a T is not folding here.

I guess I feel like this will be easy to play if I improve my hand, but if I'm behind, I'm not sure the raise does a lot for me. So I wasn't sure if I should do it.

Thanks to all.