View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: NETELLER does encrypt passwords

[ QUOTE ]
I think you may not understand how Web encryption works.

When you enter the password, your browser uses encryption to send the password to Neteller (you can tell by looking at the URL of the login page - if it starts with https, it's encrypted).

After your password reaches the Neteller servers, it is decrypted. That's why the Neteller personnel can see it.

Even if Neteller were to take an extra security step and store your password on its servers in encrypted form, staff whose job it is to work with passwords would be able to decrypt and view passwords at will.

HTH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he is not questioning web encryption. Some services (example AOL) does not let its customer care representitve see sensitive customer information like credit card on the accounts or passwords since it opens them up into much abuse.

It is only a matter of policy on the companies to ensure customer security. I know I am definately disturbed that neteller would let its customer care representitive know what your password is. I sure hope they at least have detailed background checks on their employees.