View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Stars $500k hand w/TP against another big stack

This is an interesting hand, but a lot of the replies get it wrong.

First and foremost: KK-QQ don't coldcall preflop to push an A-high flop when someone makes the standard 2/3 continuation bet, and neither does any other pair. I know it happens once in a great while in a $5 tournament, but c'mon.

In a more typical situation, you could virtually always narrow down his holdings to (set, A7s, ace something.) A flush draw is *possible* but the chance of one is small, because the ace is out and you're gonna get 2.3:1 to call his push/basically said that you have one.

But that's not the end, because we can narrow his hand range further. He's very aggro PF *on the bubble*, has raised UTG and folded to a push before, and you outstack him. He's not coldcalling your raise with a weak ace, because he's smart enough to take advantage of the bubble and the last thing he wants to do is take you on. He's also not calling you with twos - maybe ITM with deeper stacks when he can take it away from you postflop, but not here. The fact is that people that are aggro on the bubble are generally good, and once he coldcalls a bigger stack PF, his range narrows down a lot.

So, after you tell him you have an ace and he pushes, I put him on exactly AK-AQs, (small chance of) AA/77. A8s is really wishful thinking (as is AJ). Any other thought process, and you're assuming he's a donkey when the chances are that he's not.

PS: I also don't mind checking this flop, although a lot of times that I'd do that here, it would be because I'm playing the player and not the situation.