View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Bush asks for sacrifice he doesn\'t ask of himself

Scoot,

Let me be the first to say, I didn't say it wasn't Bush who started the war. Jaxmike did. Now that that's out of the way, Congress, Bush, blah blah blah.

To blame all those who don't serve for the deaths of those who chose to enlist is wrong. There is certainly no way to know if Soldier X would live or die, independent of who else served. Not a personal thing, but this is clearly a highly illogical point that you make. That's like saying someone who didn't serve in WWII is "partially responsible" for the deaths of soldiers there, or taken to an even more hyperbolistic (is that even a word? oh well) point, like saying if someone didn't serve in WWII that they are partially responsible for the deaths of Jews in the holocaust.

I have the utmost respect for those soldiers who voluntarily enlisted and who have been sent over to Iraq, or Afghanistan, or the Koreas, or Bosnia, or anywhere we are right now. I don't intend to laugh your post off as stupid liberal bullshit, but the person who wrote this letter is thoroughly ignorant. Not to mention, being President isn't a tax-free job to the best of my knowledge. So also, the writer wanted to talk about the rest of the public bearing the cost of the war, but the President as well as every other elected official like any other citizen, does in fact pay for this.

Not to cut you off Scoot, but we simply disagree on the war's necessity. Its been argued hundreds of times, and there's no way you're going to change my mind, and vice versa, I believe.