Thread: Why a Reboot?
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Why a Reboot?

I don't disagree with you. On balance, I like UNIX better. However, it seems that in UNIX, every applications has it's own configuration file, with it's own syntax. I don't generally find these too difficult to work with, but I know some people who really struggle with these. OTOH, once you get a system set up the way you want it, you can set up another system the same way by just coying the config files. It usually isn't that easy with Windows. Both OS's have their strengths and weaknesses. UNIX and Linux are beginning to copy some of the better user interface features of Windows, but still maintaining the stability and security of UNIX. I also like the fact that in UNIX, you can pretty much do anything you need to do with a shell and vi. There may be an easier way to do it, but if things go sour, those two basic tools are often all you need to fix them. You certainly can't say the same thing regarding cmd and notepad in Windows. Hell, if things have gone sour in Windows, you may not even be able to get cmd or notepad to run.