View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Poll, should I continue taking this shot?

[ QUOTE ]
When your winning at one limit and have the bankroll, is that an automatic sign to move up?

[/ QUOTE ]

+ psychologically ready.

Do we just call it a shot when we're not bankrolled for it (but not risking too much of our bankroll so that we don't increase our ROR?), or should we always call moving up taking a shot until we're fairly certain we're a winner at that game?

Although not everyone's goal, many of us are trying to find the highest $ winrate we can playing poker. There will come a level where we peak out, where the decrease in BB/100 is not compensated for by the increase in stakes anymore (and sometimes that drop happens to put us into the $ negatives). Once we've hit that peak and we know we've hit that peak, 'moving up' in stakes is never a good idea until we've improved our game and believe that we are better off at the higher level and take another shot at it.

But we can never know that we've peaked out without at least trying the next level. Being bankrolled + winning at one limit + psychologically ready is a good time to try out a higher limit. If for whatever reason it isn't working out, we know that the option of moving back down to the winrate we know we can sustain at the lower limit is there. Some people are too risk averse to try a higher level, but being risk averse isn't the way to go with poker most of the time. We just need to take smart risks. The potential return from moving up in limits is often huge. On one site, the 5/10 game was actually BETTER than the 1/2 game most of the time, there's a winrate increase of >5x.

It takes time to get used to the new, larger $ amounts that you can potentially lose in a night, but I think we're all capable of getting used to this. I used to get shaken up when losing x$ in a night and now I can lose 8x$ and be okay.