View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Do you have a backup plan?

For those of you who play poker and rely on it as your only source of income, do you have a backup plan for when poker is no longer viable, if that ever happens?

Right now we are in a poker boom but eventually online poker is going to get tougher and tougher each year, to the point where some of us won't have the skills to make it.

The games are still very beatable but compare today's games with the same games at this time last year and the level of competiton has increased quite a bit. There are still plenty of fish but eventually there won't be enough fish to go around and some of the average players who are making good money multi-tabling tabling small stakes limits with rakeback won't have the skills to make it in the tougher online enviorment that is sure to come.

With the posts that I have read here and on other forums regarding people buying lavish luxury items such as Plasma tv's hummers, Vipers etc.I wonder how many how thought ahead that far and are going to be prepared if that day
ever comes.

Have any of you thought ahead a few years to what you will be doing if the golden age of poker ends and you don't have the skills to make it online anymore?

I've started thinkking about this and have decided on a couple different scenerios:

1) Cash out my bankroll, Start or buy a business and become self-employed again. I'm talking a significant financial commitment working those 50-60 hour weeks that most self employed people work.

2) Cash out my bankroll, pay off all my debts such as my morgatge, Car payment etc and either get a job or purchase a small business, something that doesn't require large sums of money to get into. If I go the job route, it will be nice to have a job where I can tell the boss to go hell for whatever reason and not have to worry about my morgatge payment. If I purchase a small business, it would be a low maintenance part time one, not one working 50-60 hours a week.

3) Try playing live poker for a living, but at much higher limits then I do now. Of the 3 options I have thought of so far, this one definetely has the least appeal to me. And of cource if option 3 fails fall back to either option 1 or 2

Anyways, what about you other poker players out there, have you thought about the future?