View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: why no mma to boxing conversions?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really disagree with you here. linebackers, strong safeties, and running backs are all tpositions where rugby players could fit, and their skill set applies directly.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not a football and certainly not a rugby guy, but i know the offensive lines are averaging over 300 pounds and getting bigger every year. you still have to be huge to put up with those guys. running back sounds more like the ticket but they would need legs to do it. it just seems like all the rugby players i see are sturdy guys, but relatively lean, and physically geared to handle any aspect (offense, defense, running) well. you'd want a running back to be somebody who runs fast as hell and won't get killed in the process, right? i think that's a discrepancy in physical makeup too, but the defensive line just seems like a death sentence these days unless you're an ogre.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way could any rugby player play O line or D line.

but, a typical NFL linebacker is probably 6'3, 250, and there are a lot of rugby players this size. rugby players smaller than that are probablty pretty fast guys who would be well suited for Strong Safety. Re: RB's, well, you have guys 180 pound guys, 280 pound guys, and all sorts in between...kind of like rugby.

a typical NFL fullback (which is kind of a dying position) is probably the closest match to an average rugby player.