View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Berating Weak Players At The Poker Table

Yeah, I ask, are you giving lessons? or I just defend his play "How could he fold?!" "I don't think I could have folded that hand" Stuff like that.

Also if I'm generally in a friendly mood I attempt to make an effort to talk to the fish in just friendly conversation. I think if the table coaches see me doing this it has a multiway effect. First, they might get led by example and at least not be a dick. Second, people are generally less likely to get attacky at a friendly table and friendly conversation leads to that. They are more likely to just sit there and stew. Finally, I think they'll be less likely to attack someone who has a friend/ally at the table, and with many of the regulars they'll be even less likely if it's me (not necesarily because they think i'm any good, but maybe because we've at least been cordial in the past and attacking my friend now is sort of attacking me too, easy to do to tourists harder to do to someone you see every day). Finally, if they do get criticized/verbally attacked I'm very quick to jump to their defense if we've already been engaged in friendly conversation.

Online it's much easier. You just insult the table coach and draw his ire to you. Really annoying though is when they are like "goofball, you're good, Im' good xxxxx isgood, this guy's a total fish." Then you know he has your PT stats and isn't going to buy for a second any kind of act. If that happens just private invite them to a table and tell them to stfu as someone suggested.