View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Looking for tips to improve my game

Dommer,

Welcome to the forum. There's a great deal to be learned here, this community is the #1 factor in my bankroll increase and subsequent moving up of levels. You'll see a lot of the same points repeated, that's because they're important.

In no particular order, and all to be taken with boulders of salt:
- You need to see some more flops, 13.4 is a very low VPIP. Playing more marginal hands (although not total trash) in the CO or on the Button is a good way to start.
- Raising with JJ and 1010 in all positions is, in my experience, -EV. The money to be made off these hands, especially when you're in EP, is from hitting sets. Even when the flop is all unders, you will tend to not win a bunch of money.
- I'm also a fan of limping with AX suited, but you must be hyper-vigilant in getting away from these hands when you're A hits and you don't have a flush draw. This used to cost me money.
- Standardize your raises, the most common method is 4xBB + 1BB for each limper. If you're not comfortable with that size raise with the cards you've got, don't do it.
- Bluffing for the sake of bluffing without reads on specific players or a well-honed sense of flop texture is -EV. Players at these limits aren't paying enough attention, for the most part, to know when you're telling them clearly that they're beat.
- Min raises often indicate monsters. Don't bet when the only way you're getting called is if you're beat.

That's a random assortment of thoughts based on your post. Start posting hands you have questions about to get more specific feedback.

LFS