View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: Looking for tips to improve my game

Hi,

First I want to ask you what your bankroll is? Itīs very hard to play correctly if you are worried about losing your buy-in. Remember you play poker for the long run not to make a score today, play your best game and donīt worry about the money. I suggest staying at your current limit or even dropping down untill you feel comfortable.

Your preflop strategy looks ok I donīt see anything wrong there, you might want to limp with the low ppīs but raising is good too. I assume you raise 3x BB first in and then add 1 BB for every limper, you migt want to make it 4x but 3 is fine. In some situation you might even get callers if you make bigger raises, remember that with AA they correct raise is the biggest one that will be called, and the worst that can happen if you raise to much is that you win the pot.

A more imporant part of preflop strategy is what you call raises with. A lot of people play way to loose when someone has raised. I basically only call with AK and ppīs when someone has raised, AQ and worse are situational.
Hands like KJ, KT, QT, AT, etc can be hard to play even in unraised pots when you flop top pair and you will probably want to fold those types of hands.

Itīs really hard to point at anything your doing wrong without any actual hands but I think you might be giving you opponents to much respect in some situations.
You need to realize that your opponent might just be bluffing or value betting something you can beat. Watching your opponents and seeing how they play is very important in NL, you need to pay attention to what hands they bet in what situation, when they bluff etc.

Well thatīs what I could come up with, probably not much help but post some actual hands and you will get a lot of good responses from better players than me.