View Single Post
Old 03-06-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: very unsuccessful at 10$ level, help?

Sounds to me like you are running into a bit of bad luck there, but that's just poker sometimes.

It seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you're playing the early stages of the tournament very aggressively. Definitely raise hands like QQ, KK, and AK (as you did), but don't try anything fancy. 25/50 is definitely not the time to start trying steals with J9s. On the $10 level, you'll get called 90%+ of the time. The cards are coming cheaply, so be selective while you can. The WSOP-folk (you know, the people that watch WSOP final table and think that's how you win tournaments from the very beginning) will bust themselves out.

Personally, I get very nervous if I stick out a large raise and get cold-called, even with a good hand. After preflop and flop raises with your big slick suited, I would have stopped and strongly considered that other 5 or a set of 8s when you were cold-called. Don't be too eager to push when someone's calling you all the way here. His calls are screaming "I can beat top-pair!"

Also, don't be mechanical with NL play like you can be with limit. Think "outside of the box," as corny and unhelpful as that may sound. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]