View Single Post
Old 01-13-2004, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Confusion on using odds to justify a call with 2 cards to come.

[ QUOTE ]
Ah-ha! Hence the reason why draws where the odds are pretty stacked against me making my hand are ones that I only want to go for against multiple opponents (3-4) because of the increased likelihood of additional BBs going into the pot. Heads up or against 2 opponents there are fewer people that I need to beat, but also fewer BBs in the pot to justify me risking more of my stack to try - right?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, however just to further complicate things, there's an important caveat to this: With multiple players in the pot, you may have to pay more than a single bet on each street to see the next card. For example, what might be a clear call if you "close the action" on the flop would be a clear fold if there are likely raisers behind you. A very common example is when a preflop raiser is on your left and a player on your right bets into him on the flop. You're quite likely to have the pre-flop raiser to raise (even if he didn't hit, he may try to get a free card) and its not unlikely that the player on right will 3-bet (he probably has a decent hand to bet into a pre-flop raiser). As usual knowing your opponents and evaluating the "texture" of the flop are important here.

This can be a very expensive mistake if you get caught paying multiple bets in a situation which warranted a call only for a single bet.