View Single Post
Old 07-04-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: What just happened to my monitor?

There are a few possible problems that can cause this, and though my first instinct is to troubleshoot the monitor (fixing TVs was my hobby as a a kid), that probably isn't very useful: most TV/computer shops don't bother fixing monitors anymore, aside from the simplest, priciest repairs like swapping out mainboards or the B+ power supply.

The screen scrolling is a vertical sync issue, and if I understand your description, you then developed a blowout of your horzontal sync, too. The best case is that your video card is generating the wrong signal because of a corrupted driver. The card is cheaper to replace and sometimes you just need to reinstall thr driver or use a different resolution/pallette.

1. Does the computer show text normally during boot. Does it stay reliable aster an hour or so in command prompt mode?

2. Does the display work properly and stably in VGA when you boot into Safe mode?

3. If your video starts out okay in normal mode, you might check if it is stable at lower resolution/pallette

4. If the computer can be trusted for about 10 minutes in normal or safe mode, try downloading the latest driver for you card, turning the computer off to let your card "cool" (to give yourself the maximum time, in case the install takes a while) and then booting and installing the drivers.

Alternatively, you can check your monitor (vs. card) by seeing how it works with another desktop or laptop, and then check your video outpur by using another monitor (if you have one or can borrow one)

There's more, but that's the first level of things to check, on a unknown monitor and video card.