View Single Post
Old 02-09-2003, 03:56 AM

Default Kingdom of Fear - HST

Excerpt from the "Author's Preface" to Hunter Tompson's new book - Kingdom of Fear:

"I like this book, and I especially like the title, which pretty well sums up the foul nature of the U.S.A. in these few bloody years of the post-American century. Only a fool or a whore would call it anything else.

It would be easy to say that we owe it all the the Bush family from Texas, but that would be too simplistic. They are only errand boys for the vengeful, bloodthirsty cartel of raving Jesus-freaks and super-rich money mongers who have ruled this country for at least the last 20 years, and arguably for the past 200. They take orders well, and they don't ask too many questions.

The real power in America is held by a fast-emerging new Oligarchy of pimps and preachers who see no need for Democracy or fairness or even trees, except maybe the ones in their own yards, and they don't mind admitting it. They worship money and power and death. Their ideal solution to all the nation's problems would be another 100 Year War.

Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear.

Ho ho ho. Let's not get carried away here. Freedom was yesterday in this country. Its value has been discounted. The only freedom we truly crave today is freedom from Dumbness. Nothing else matters."

Peppery and to the point. As is usually with this guy. I claim no aderence to his point of view but it is good writing and as always, humorous.

I would add though that the U.S.A is not the only Kingdom of Fear in the world. Indeed, it is the all the individual Kingdoms of Fear that infest this spinning orb of rock that make it what it is: - a cesspool of ignorance and intolerance, maintained by propaganda and superstition.

Shalom,

-Zeno