View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: DC & Minneapolis residents please help

Thanks everybody for your responses. I will try to touch on all your comments and questions in one post.

Many of you commented on the GF being the only thing keeping me from moving to Minny. Yes, she is a factor but my sister and old roomate are bigger influences. I have some friends in Minnesota, however moving to DC were I have 2 people I'm close with is important.

What general factors was I looking for in a new city that I did not mention?
-Fairly large city
-Somewhere were I already had friends
-Lots of young people (I'm 25)
-Sports (Profesional to watch & rec leagues to play in)
-Fairly Clean (I was amazed by the cleanliness of DC's Metro)
-Low crime for a big city (I haven't seen any of the sketchier parts of DC but I'm sure they exist. Do you DC residents feel safe in most areas?)
-Low cost of living compared to income (I know DC dosen't really fit this factor)
-I'm not really a club person, much bigger fan of brewpubs/smaller dive bar type places. I went to the RFD after a Capitols game and loved it. Really looking forward to going to Town Hall in Minnesota.

Some questions after reading your replies:
-A couple of people mentioned Minnesota's music scene. This is a big plus. I'm a big fan of going to smaller clubs and seeing unknown bands, can anybody comment on DC's music scene?
-Minnesota's winters won't be a problem for me. I went to school for 5 years in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, so I know all about long cold winters.
-I hadn't thought about proximity to big cities. This is a plus for DC. However I can drive from Minny to my college, which I do still visit from time to time.
-Some asked about my career goals. I have an accounting/finance degree and nearly 2 years experience with a large leasing company. I'm not exactlly sure what I want to do, but this should open a lot of doors for me in accounting, leasing or banking.
-As for the GF. We've had a good relationship and have been through a lot. I don't think either one of us are ready to end it, moving to Minnesota may do that.

Two additional questions:
DC Residents-I'm pretty apathetic about politics. How much does it come up in your day to day life? Will I be able to live without really caring about politics?

Minnesota residents-Do any of you own condos? It looks like I should be able to find a decent 1 bedroom for around 180k. Does this sound about right?

Thanks again to everybody who took the time to read and reply.