View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Chapter 4 and Levels 1-3

[ QUOTE ]
When I played the 800 chip tourneys I was uber tight early. In the 1000's i'm a bit looser early on. Well if I am interpreting chapter 4 properly, sklansky is saying that this is not wise. In fact that I should be playing TIGHTER early on in the 1000 chip tourneys than in the 800 chip tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we're thinking about the problem in the wrong way. Recall what Sklansky says on page 27:

"The lower the ante, the tighter you should play; the higher the ante, the looser you should play. I consder 5 percent or less of the average future bets a small ante and 15 percent or more of the average future bets a large ante."

Judging based off the stack size is a mistake unless you see a large number of all-in bets in these early level situations. We should instead be relating the size of the blind to the average finishing pot. Thus, if the blinds are 10 and 15, then this would be a large ante structure (requiring loose play) if the pot size averages 167 chips or less, but it would be a small ante structure (requiring tight play) if the pot size averages 500 chips or more. I generally see rather large pots, even early on, so I play tightly; your mileage may vary from buy-in to buy-in and from table to table.