Thread: blind-war hand
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: blind-war hand

I think Lmn55d is correct. The thing is, even if the calldown is +EV, it is not enough +EV to compensate for the price you paid with the turn bet. In other words once we get checkraised, even if we are getting correct odds in our estimation to call him down, we would wish he hadn't bet the turn. I realize that we get some benefit from our turn bet when he doesn't checkraise, but I don't know if it is enough to offset the detriment when he does.

On a related note, it is important to understand that the "cost" of our turn bet when he doesn't fold is not the full 1 BB, but actually (his equity - our equity)*1BB. In the case where we have 50% equity for instance, the cost of our turn bet is zero. When we have 25% equity, the cost of our turn bet is .5 BB. When we have 75% equity, the cost of our turn bet is -.5 BB (in other words a profit of .5BB). Etc.

Out of curiosity, Lmn55d, about what caliber of hand would you consider strong enough to bet and call down instead of checking behind and calling a river bet. For instance, what would you do with AK, 55, etc?

Thanks,
Cartman