View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Help me out here. Books that I should and shouldn\'t buy.

Wow...that's going to be quite a shipment.

Other books to consider getting include:

Mason's Poker Essays I, II and III.

Some of the stuff is really dated...but overall they have some very interesting content and are worthwhile reads.

Ace on the River - Barry Greenstein

I thought the book was decent, but not great.
Other 2+2'ers thought the book was phenomenal.

Weighing the Odds in Hold-em - King Yao

This might be difficult to track down currently but I definitely think is worthwhile. Really good stuff.

I also paged through a book at Borders that I think was called 'All-in. The History of the WSOP' or something like that.
It looked pretty darned terrific if you are into the WSOP at all. Will probably get it sooner or later (perhaps when it comes to paperback).

Be careful with Tao of Poker.
I haven't read it...but I have Zen and the Art of Poker which I believe is by the same author (Larry Phillips).

There are some fine ideas in there about patience and discipline, etc.
But you need to ignore the stuff where he tells you to just ignore the math and throw that stuff out the window...and to believe in your 'lucky streaks' and that you somehow should know AHEAD OF TIME when you are about to run cold and leave the table BEFORE it happens.
'You can just FEEL it'.

Stupid stuff like that.

Again, I don't know how much of this type of thinking is included in Tao of Poker...but it's all over the place in Zen and the Art of Poker.

Are you concerned that you are biting off a little bit more than you can chew?
I mean, you've got O/8 and PLO and stud hi/lo and regular stud along with all the other books.
Seems like a lot to digest.

Also - if you are truly interested in these non-holdem forms of poker than you should also consider Super System 2 I would think.