View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: 30 Omaha/8 Starting Hands

I see some strange things here. Of the hands you fold preflop, I would almost always play 7, and seriously consider playing 9, 18, and 20. This of course depends on position and tendancies at the table, but all those hands seem easy post flop from my point of view. I may even dabble around with 23 from the button.

Of the hands you elected to call I would consider 5, 6, 21, 28, and 30 to all be pure garbage and much worse than the hands I listed which you fold. 27 is also a very questionable call preflop, but may be playable from late position.

You want to pick hands with GOOD scoop potential. A big pair can make a big FH or big trips on a high board and scoop. 4 big cards can make big straits on high boards and scoop. Suited ace little hands can make nut flushes and nut lows and scoop. A hand like 4567 rainbow can get you quartered for high and can only scoop on a board with 89T or 789 with no other low cards and then you are on the idiot end of a straight and most likely going to lose if anyone stays in. That hand probably plays worse post flop than 72o plays in holdem.

Also, if you aren't raising AA65 and AA66 preflop, you should be. I think you want to narrow the field and play aggressively with these semi dry aces. By the way, if you hold AA66 then A36 with 2 of a suit is a rotten flop for your hand. You usually have to fill up here to keep half the pot and the lows will be freerolling straight and flush draws against you and you have 2 blockers against your own boat. Recognizing flops that fit your hand well is also very important. This flop looks like a dream, but is probably a money loser.