View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Pre-flop Theory Question

I'll do it. I've got SSHE open due to another thread.

[ QUOTE ]
p. 53 [referring to speculative hands like small pocket pairs and suited, connected hands] "These hands, especially the weak ones, need to see the flop cheaply. Since they often miss, they lose money with every extra bet that goes in before the flop."

[/ QUOTE ]
(...and thus voluntarily putting in extra money by raising is a bad thing.)

I don't see anything relevant on p. 67.

[ QUOTE ]
p. 70 [discussing suited aces] "From late position, consider raising with A9s or A8s after limpers if your opponents are loose."

[/ QUOTE ]
(...which implies that raising with a weaker suited ace is a bad play.)

I don't see anything relevant on p. 71

----

To quote a relevant passage from HPFAP, p. 173-4, which discusses raising with hands like Axs and little pairs.

[ QUOTE ]
Thus, one of the reasons to raise with these flush cards is because if you flop the draw, by your making the pot bigger, people now play hands that can't win against your handif you hit it...however, if they are tough you should just call, and if they are terrible, you should again just call. When the other players are terrible, there is no reason to make this raise in order to attract their call on the flop because they will stay in anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of you seem to be in violent agreement. Raising costs a little EV with Axs. That's okay because against a certain class of opponents, it'll make them make mistakes later. Other classes of opponents will make those mistakes without the raise, so it's a bad thing to raise. Why are we arguing?

PP