View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: The paradox of making money from opponents mistakes

I'm not sure what the hell donking is exactly, but it appears to be some kind of bet, so I'm going to assume that's it. Also, he is not a six to one dog after the flop, he's a three to one dog, so the call there on the flop isn't really that bad, if it's incorrect at all. And your paradox stems from the fact that he IS making a mistake putting in 2 bets on the flop. It's just that with the information available to him, it seems right to bet. He is playing sound poker--no decent player makes a mistake thinking it's a mistake (unless they're on tilt)---but you have more information than he does with regards to ranges of hands and if you are good or not. The FTOP is about mathematical mistakes based on the cards you both have (and here you have more accurate and detailed information, which gives you the edge). The psychology of poker is geared to trying to induce your opponent to act in a manner contrary to how he would if he knew what you had. In this case, while given the information he has, betting is the right move, we know that checking is better. He did not play poorly, you just played BETTER. You can be the second worse player in the world and still make money. If, on the other hand, he checked behind you or called your flop bet, hit the turn, and then got money from you on the turn/river, he would have outplayed you, since your mistake would have cost you more overall than his initial mistake. Or if he bluffd you off your hand on the turn or river, then he would have REALLY outplayed you. A "mathematical disaster." Poker is not about playing good or bad, it's about playing better or worse. Here, let me repeat that.

Poker is not about playing good or bad, it's about playing better or worse.

The fewer plays you make which are different than you would have if you knew what your opponent had (and exactly how he would play in any given situation), the closer to optimal you play. And of course, you also get closer to optimal if you can induce him to make more mistakes in that regard.