View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Struggling with Moral Issues in Poker from a Christian Standpoint

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Again, I don't have a problem with it, but I don't deceive myself into thinking what I'm doing is perfectly in line with Christian doctrine, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's certainly not in line with certain denominations' doctrines.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of them that I know of. I'm sure some more liberal denominations think it's OK.

This reminds me of when my Christian friend made the argument that masturbation wasn't a sin if he was thinking about his future wife when he did it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...terrible. Yeh, I think a lot of demonitations split hairs over "rules." Its just not a good idea to attack certain sins and leave other ones alone. Sexual sins, drug abuse, alcoholism, crime, and abortion are attacked fairly liberally by the Southern Baptist Convention (who also attacks gambling to a somewhat lesser degree). Many things are conveniently left out more than not. These things include gluttony, greed, "not loving thy neighbor," etc. People have to be careful...even Pat Robertson concedes that there is not a biblical basis for saying that gambling is a sin. He stated in one of his books that he would be very uncomfortable with saying that gamblers are wrong. Could I be justifying to myself that it is right? Sure, it's possible. I'll come back on 2+2 and post on this board (in a non-attacking way) if I ever reach the conclusion that it is wrong.

In a way, however, I feel like poker players are fairly honest (disregarding the cheaters). Sure, I meet some assholes, slowrollers, and general scum that I meet in every other facet of life. In poker, however, I make no bones about being there to win your money.

This could easily be contrasted with the salesman who urges you to buy it because its the right thing for you. I'm not attacking salespeople, I'm just saying that the world is out to make a buck and that's the society that we live in...right or wrong.