View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Question For Protestants

You say that logically, God should care that his message is interpreted correctly, and further, God would actually intervene at some point to ensure that someone (as opposed to everyone) gets the correct message.

What premises is this logic based upon? Can you give me one reason other than "it's illogical to me!"

I'm not one to presuppose the mind or purpose of God, but here are some thoughts why this may not be the case:

- God believes that only those worthy of His love should go to heaven. He has given a book full of spiritual guidance. He sent his only son down to die and be reborn. How is that not enough? Why should he now spoon feed interpretations to people? Perhaps this life is some sort of test. Those who truly want to find God, can, with faith and everything he has given already. His message is clear enough to those that listen, without any religion or scriptural interpretation.

- God cares not for religion and interpretations of his work. His message is love, compassion and the promise of protection from life's ills. People have free will, so they may squabble all they like about various things. He didn't intervene in hundreds of wars, famines, plagues and injustices (even those perpetrated in his name), so why would he intervene in this?

- Assuming God had a hand in writing the original bible, why would he choose to make sure, after the fact, it is interpreted correctly? Why not just write it properly in the first place? Many of the different interpretations come from specific ambiguities in the bible.

- Maybe God didn't write the bible, but chose to act at various times to show his love for humanity. These were written down, but the 'scripture' was also distorted by the customs, laws and beliefs of the time (especially the Old Testament)

- FINAL POINT to sum up the others: If he really wanted people to get his message in a perfect form, he could appear to everyone simultaneously in some holy vision, and tell them of his love and message, and then let people decide. The fact that he has not done this suggests he works on a subtler level, or requires something like faith first (as evidenced by Christian testimonies). Do you see why this point invalidates your own?