View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Big Leaks, and a New Challenge

good post Wookie. could i make a slight suggestion regarding the Grunching challenge?

can we modify the blind-grunch posting to be: look at the hand, figure a response/questions/thoughts prior to posting, but THEN to read the responses before actually posting. There are so many threads that have multiple postings of "i'd fold preflop", it just gets tiresome reading the same thing over and over.

and take the Grunching a step further: when you are reading a posting, don't just read each posting 'til you get to the end, but take each posting as a basic "hand theory" in itself, and think of whether you agree with each individual posting as you move down.

To unconfuse:

we open up our thread to find this hand posting:

what do i do on this river? No reads, I'm multi-tabling

1/2 6-max
Hero is MP3 A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls, CO and Button fold, <font color="red">SB raises</font>, BB calls, everyone calls.

Flop 9SBs: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="red">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls

Turn 9.5 BBs: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">SB bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls

River 15 BBs : 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="blue">Hero...???</font>

STEP 1: GRUNCH figure out how you'd play the hand and WHY you'd play the hand that way, what hands you put other players on, any math-related points (odds/equity/hand combos/etc.), and questions you have.

STEP 2: Read the 1st posting (assuming you're not the first) and here is the first posting:

"i'd call. he might think you were bluffing on the six or figured you had a flush draw, but he might have rivered a 3-of-a-kind or the straight."

STEP 3: Think about this posting before moving on and repeat STEP 1 as it relates to this posting. such as: what about preflop? is raising the turn okay? why not raise the flop?

STEP 4: Repeat as necessary for each posting.

If you come to the end and you find 5 other people have said you should cap preflop or raise the flop, there is no reason to repeat that posting. BUT if the last posting says "i'd fold the river, he wouldn't betting into you unless he had top pair beat." THEN respond to that posting with the reasons of why you disagree.

make sense? (FWIW: this hand is completely made up, but it looks pretty fun right? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]) too many times we repeatedly berate the OP by passing over the 5 previous people that said something and the fact the original poster had said: i misclicked already. savvy?