View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: \"Stay back 100 ft\"

[ QUOTE ]
"Stay back 100ft. Not responsible for damaged vehicles"

I scoff whenever I see this sign on the back of a dumptruck, but I'm curious, does it actually prevent lawsuits or relieve them of any legal liability?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it relieves them of legal liability. Most of the "Not responsible for..." signs you see *anywhere* have absolutely no basis in law.

For instance, a few years ago I was going through a carwash and it somehow pulled my bumper off my car. They had a "Not responsible for damages" sign at the entrance to the carwash. I called my insurance company and they told me to go back to the carwash and ask them to pay for the damages. If they didn't pay for the damages, the insurance company was going to go after them. The insurance agent told me that the gas station is responsible for any damages to vehicles that go through their carwash. They put up the signs so that people don't bother trying to recover damages from them. I went back to the carwash and they told me to get an estimate. No arguments, nothing. They even told me which bodyshop to use. I returned with my estimate and they paid me in cash. Sweet.