View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Re: PLO8 - Did I do something wrong or was I just doomed?

[ QUOTE ]
It's amazing to me that everyone seems to be missing the point about how to play this hand. Yes, the AA aspect of the hand plays well with few players, but the double-suited + A2 plays very well multi-way. PLO8 is about big pots and, unless you feel inferior the other players at the table, you should be wanting to build those big pots after the flop, not preflop when it is largely a tossup.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see a problem with the preflop raise, provided that OP is also raising with weaker holdings at a decent rate and stacks are deep.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd limp preflop. This will succesfully disguise your hand and then you can decide whether you want to put your hard-earned money at risk after 7/9's of your hand is known.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, you're hand can still be well-disguised if you raise frequently preflop. Perhaps you prefer a tighter, more variance-proof approach, but it's not clear that this will yield the highest winrate.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are the better player, you will make the better decision at this point. There will be many cases where you'll be shoving money in with a 90-10 advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]
As the better player, you will still be making the better decisions postflop when bet sizes are greater; you're trading the larger bet PF for greater leverage to steal pots on the flop and force more action on the flop than otherwise. Also, with the PF-limp approach, it is more difficult to get significant amounts in on a good flop.
If the flop misses you, you'll be able to get away relatively cheap. Finally, there is little reason to believe that your PF raise will induce you to put your whole stack in the middle in an iffy situation more than it will induce your opponent to do so as well, as it did in this case.
Your points are reasonable, but you make this decision sound too cut-and-dried.