Thread: 72o in BB
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: 72o in BB

[ QUOTE ]
I think everyone knows I'm not a mid-high player, but I'd like to be someday.

In the NL forums, it seems like many people are searching for the "correct" way to play their hands. In reality, there is no "correct" way to play any hand. Each decision needs to based on factors that are constantly changing and evolving.

Sometimes, reading these forms reminds me of some of the really bad poker books out there. You know the ones-- players have four styles: LAG, TAG, loose passive, and tight-weak.

Poker is a game played with people, not archatypes. If you evaluated your life as though there were only four ways that people acted, then I would think it would be a very -EV way of interacting with people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Waxie:

I think the reason that people act as there are four different types of people out there is because they are trying to balance the helpfulness of detailed information with having to make a lot of complicated decisions at once.

People on these boards generally want to maximize winrates, and that's usually done with multiple tables. The increased earn comes at a price of less complete information about each individual player.

When you are playing at one table and you are paying attention to the guy's pulse showing through his neck as he raises, then yes, you are playing with people. When you are overlapping eight screens of 6-handed NL with heads up displays and stats at your fingertips, you can't treat each opponent as a "person," merely an archetype.