View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: $500+30 SNG on Pokerstars, Opinions plx.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1

This is the first hand when I tangle with Layne Flack, and there's always just a bit of an uneasy feeling. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting hand but you played it 'obviously' - the raise is too small preflop and you should go for a check raise on the flop if his bet is small (or even flat call and checkraise the turn if you want to get fancy). What are you going to do if he raises you when you underbet the flop? You're obviously not scaring him away. Granted, if it were me I wouldn't be really tangling too much early on. Good bet on his part on the river (nice call too).

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2:
Yuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like a lot about this hand except for size of the checkraise. You have 1500 in front of you with a pot of 170 or so (marginally worth fighting for). Checkraise to 200 here.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3

Again, caught with AK and no hit. I hate these situations, but I think you HAVE to bet out here even if you miss the flop. Ya think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like flatcalling preflop - what do you do when you're reraised all in? Call me too passive preflop but AK is a drawing hand and you're likely to be heads up with him anyway. Take a flop off.

Good bet on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 4

I think this was my first mistake of the SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm inclined to agree. It's 9-handed and you raised KQo UTG+1. Blinds still look pretty small but now you've got to risk your stack against someone who has plenty of time to sit around and wait for a hand and is pushing. You *know* you are going to be a dog here, and odds are good that you're either dominated or have one over or one under (even two unders). There aren't many hands that you can expect him to push with that you'd be happy to call with KQo here. Fold to the reraise and protect your chips.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 5

My only regret is that I did not play this more aggressively. Should I have set him all in on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I think it would be a safe read that he has a queen (maybe a weak queen), and with that many chips in the pot after the turn, you're happy to either win the pot uncontested or stack off. Push on the river, or if you're feeling like he's really gonna bet it, checkraise him all in.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 6

Gaining a bit of confidence...

[/ QUOTE ]

nh.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 7

No great read on villian in this hand. He was solid though, which is why I laid it down. Does anyone else call here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly right. Don't get broke with top pair 6 kicker out of the big blind. You don't know what he's limping with. A9? TT? AA? All likely.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 8

This is a very questionable call in my mind...
Ouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably *could* get away from this hand, minimum pushing hands for him are AJ+, 77+, but probably not KQ. In just about any case but 77-99 you're in for a bumpy ride. Keep in mind that "bubble philosophy" applies here and he's unlikely to push without that much of a stronger hand (unless he's a strong player trying to take advantage of YOU playing "bubble philosophy"). Fold and move on.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 9:

Now its bubble time and I find myself short stacked. Yuck.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)

Hero (t2085)

[/ QUOTE ]
You aren't short stacked.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 10

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t1910</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem with that.

[ QUOTE ]

So, invested $530, won $900. My first SNG at this level, was an interesting time. Comments on my play all around would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

GG