View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Sometimes being a LAG gets you in trouble.

[ QUOTE ]
FGators,

You read MLGs post. There are rules, but there really aren't. With 100 bbs and position, my cards aren't of all that much importance here. You are grossly misunderstanding the gap concept. I sometimes call AA here, I sometimes call with Q5s here. Deep stacked poker is mostly played on the flop, not preflop gators. You need to open your understanding of NL hold'em. What is the big difference between calling here with AJs, T9s, 22, 99? There isn't much.

This isn't limit hold'em. There are no rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure there are. Specifically, the magic words 'implied odds' are shorthand for 'stacking somebody when the crap I call with flops something really cool'. So the rule you are missing is that you should only call this hand when 1)you know how to play it well, 2)you think they are worse than you (not counting the 10/20 NL metagame or whatever), 3)you can sometimes stack them with it or at least take it away on an A72 board.

So, for example, let's say I make this raise and you call 85s, then a couple of people overcall behind. The following things will happen: 1)I will rarely pay you off without a magic A85 board*, 2)you will sometimes pay me off (when we both hit but I hit better due to my starting hands), 3)you will fold to my bets a lot or I will check fold my missed AK and you will fold anyway because you also missed and it's a 4 way pot.

*Lots of times, because this is 85s, what will happen instead is that I will hit top pair etc. and you will hit a draw. This is when you say the magic words 'implied odds' again and call or raise my bet, and I or someone behind me says 'but I have the best hand' and we wind up playing a big pot with you as a dog/you call two streets, bet when your draw hits and win surprisingly little/you had more than everybody else after all and win a small pot.

I am convinced that coldcalling hands like these are a leak for the vast majority of players**, because it requires that you play really well and can often take pots down with nothing (which isn't really possible at that point in the 11r, BTW). I've never played with you that I remember so you might very well be an exception, but I would like to throw that out there.

**note that if 3 people coldcalled that raise ahead of you, this would be an entirely different story due solely to the fact that you now have position on lots of idiots in a much bigger pot that people won't fold in.