View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: AK UTG Late Stage of Tourney - results

Thanks for all the feedback.

Where i ended up was as follows: I interptreted his call on the flop as mid/low pair, AK/AQ, maybe AJs, maybe cute big pair, maybe frisky suited connector. When he checked the flop I figured I was good, bet and expected a fold - so the min check raise surprised me and didn't know what to put him on as there were no hands that I'd have played that way. I decided he didn't have a J as the only J hand I had preflop was AJs but there's only one of those left (my A matched the board so 3 suits were covered) and I wouldn't have raised w/ it there. Given that I thought the best line was to call w/ the intent of calling any turn bet, checking behind if he did on the turn and value betting on the river if he checked again - I figured this gave me my best value if I was ahead. Implication of course was that I was committing my stack (unless a Q came on the turn which would cause me to regroup). Sounds like most of you guys were on a similar page.

The turn bricked, he pushed, I called and he turned over JTo - no miracle on the river. I either misread him or he picked a great time to loosen up ;-)

Would you guys have played his hand that way on the flop? I think I would have just smooth called and hope that I'd let my opponent hang himself on the turn and not run the risk that I scare off AQ, KK, or QQ (which were certainly in my range)

Thanks again.

HC