View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: 3/5NL Live: River Trips Faces Big Overbet

I'd played 20-30 hours with this guy over the course of a few sessions. Though he is looser then me up front preflop we actually play very similar type of game.

He has never overbet like this before.

I, on the other hand, have an affinity for the overbet. During this particular session I had made two very big overbets, one which induced a fold and another which was called (a "big" call by a guy with middle pair) and my OESD got there on the river (I was gambling it up with a shortish stack. Low capped buyin structure. +EV to get deep ASAP.).

Things that made me want to call:

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I have been running the table. He probably doesn't like this as taking down pots on the flop is a big part of how both of us make money. I’m agro, he’s agro. Slowing me down would be a good thing for him.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Like TWP noted, I've played the hand very weakly by checking the flop. Though when I checked we looked at each other and he smirked. Indicating to me that I probably dodged a check/raise.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] If he's taken this line with a flopped set it's a strange line. Though if he planned on check/raising the flop, knowing that I'd call/re-raise with a wide range of hands the turn check doesn't seem as weird.

Reasons not to call:

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] The capped buy-in structure of this game (40xbb capped buy-in) makes it hard to build up a stack. Once you have one, it pays to protect it a bit especially when you have 3 to 4 absolute clueless donkeys at the table sitting with 200xbb who will gladly call off their stacks with TPTK.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] He doesn't own me but he's working on it. He took a lot of time thinking before he made the big overbet. It wasn't the typical haphazard LAG type overbet. It was kind of like, "So you want to do the overbet thing, huh? Try this one out."

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Physical tells were unsettling. He didn't seem nervous or over-serious. He actually picked up a keno ticket he had played and checked it to the board behind the table to see if he'd won anything. Usually trying to appear disinterested shows a lot of strength but I'm not quite sure on this one.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] While he may semi-bluff a lot, I’ve never seen him pure-bluff. Small sample but it pays to consider.

Anyways, I really appreciate the posts. Nice to see what you all would think about.